GUI (tkinter) popularity and job prospects for

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:59:17 EDT 2020

On 2020-10-23, John Pote <johnpote at jptechnical.co.uk> wrote:
> On 23/10/2020 05:47, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> I think that commercial desktop applications with a python
>>> compatible GUI would likely use QT or a Python binding thereof.
>> Agreed. If you want to improve you "hirability" for GUI application
>> development, I would probably put Qt first.  Then gobject or
>> wx. Tkinter would probably be last.
>
> I've used tkinter and wxPython occasionally in the past for 1 off test
> tasks (and interest). What's the advantage of Qt?

I think it may look/act more "native" than the others. It has also had
good support for multiple platforms for a long time. For whatever
reason, it seems to the more popular choice for commercially
distributed Python apps.

Getting Tkinter to look and act like a "native" app takes a lot of
effort, and sometimes is just not possible. Distributing Tkinter apps
is a PITA. Even trivial apps tend to turn into large bundles because
you're including all of TCL with them.

--
Grant