Re: Re: CLI parsing—with `--help` text—`--foo bar`, how to give additional parameters to `bar`?

Samuel Marks samuelmarks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 00:58:37 EDT 2020

Yeah I've played with custom actions before
https://github.com/offscale/argparse-utils/tree/master/argparse_utils/actions

But this would only help in one phase, the important phase of
providing help text will need to be provided out-of-argparse and
thrown in

(like my trivial absl alternative, exposing a function which takes an
argparse instance and returns an argparse instance)

The only hack remaining is that I have to pass through `sys.argv` at
least once before giving it to argparse. I wonder if there's a way to
not need to explicitly go through it at all…
https://github.com/SamuelMarks/ml-params/blob/d1fb184/ml_params/__main__.py#L89

[I didn't know `getopt` was exposed otherwise I'd use that <like I
sometimes do in C>, but there has to be a solution just using
argparse?]

Samuel Marks
Charity <https://sydneyscientific.org> | consultancy
<https://offscale.io> | open-source <https://github.com/offscale> |
LinkedIn <https://linkedin.com/in/samuelmarks>

Samuel Marks
Charity | consultancy | open-source | LinkedIn