Re: CLI parsing—with `--help` text—`--foo bar`, how to give additional parameters to `bar`?

Samuel Marks samuelmarks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 19:09:09 EDT 2020

Yes it’s my module, and I’ve been using argparse
https://github.com/SamuelMarks/ml-params

No library I’ve found provides a solution to CLI argument parsing for my
use-case.

So I’ll write one. But what should it look like, syntactically and
semantically?

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 at 3:14 am, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:

> Samuel Marks wrote at 2020-10-15 20:53 +1100:
> >To illustrate the issue, using `ml-params` and ml-params-tensorflow:
> >What's the right solution here?
>
> While Python provides several modules in its standard library
> to process parameters (e.g. the simple `getopt` and the flexible
> `argparse`),
> it is up to the "application" whether it uses such a module (and which one)
> or whether it handle arguments on its own.
>
> Apparently, `ml_param` is not a staudard Python module.
> Is it a package of your own? Then I suggest to check `argparse` whether
> it supports your use case (I know, it can be customized to do it,
> but maybe, it does it already out of the box).
>
> If `ml_param` is a third party module, then the question
> is actually an `ml_param` question. Ask its support mailing lists
> or have a look at its source.
>
> --
Samuel Marks
Charity <https://sydneyscientific.org> | consultancy