Help! I broke python 3.9 installation on macOS

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 20:07:55 EDT 2020

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 10:36 AM Elliott Roper <nospam at yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> First problem: I can no longer say
> Obfuscated at MyMac ~ % python3 pip -m list
>
> It cries in pain with:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/bin/python3: can't open file
> '/Users/Obfuscated/pip': [Errno 2] No such file or directory.
> Why is it looking at my $HOME??

If that's an exact copy/paste from your terminal session, I may have
some good news for you: the solution is easy. Try "python3 -m pip
list" instead - putting the "-m" before "pip" instead of after it -
and see if that solves your problem :)

It's looking in your home directory because that's the current
directory. If you'd typed "python3 pip.py" with no other arguments,
it's more obvious that it should be reading that file from the current
directory.

ChrisA