help with installation

Mats Wichmann mats at python.org
Thu Oct 8 12:28:08 EDT 2020

On 10/7/20 2:00 AM, rebecca kahn wrote:
> Good morning.
> I need to install numpy and matplotlib  for school. But everytime I run the comand i get a error on the metadata fase. Can you offer assistance?
> Sincerely Rebecca Kahn
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.1082]
> (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. Todos os direitos reservados.
>
> C:\Users\Acer>python -m pip install numpy
> Collecting numpy
>   Using cached numpy-1.19.2.zip (7.3 MB)
>   Installing build dependencies ... done
>   Getting requirements to build wheel ... done
>     Preparing wheel metadata ... error
>     ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:

Short answer: be patient.

The root of this problem is Python 3.9 was *just* released, and some
(many?) of the packages on PyPI that include version-specific wheels
have not been updated yet.

Use a Python 3.8 version if you're in a hurry.  There is a site that has
unofficial builds of many interesting packages for Windows, but
personally I'm a little reluctant to point people there, as they're
unsupported if there are problems.

You can check the numpy status, as for any package on PyPI by searching
it and going to the list of downloadable files.  Here:

https://pypi.org/project/numpy/#files

Slightly longer description - why you see lots of scary error messages -
is since pip doesn't find an appropriate wheel, it embarks on the
process of building one from the source distribution.  This nearly
always fails for the ordinary Windows user, since the required build
setup will not be present, complete, or configured.  The errors come
from this, but that's only because the per-built wheel was not found.

(this happens every time a new Python version, that is X in 3.X comes out)