List of All Error Menssages

Kyle Stanley aeros167 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:03:42 EDT 2020

Hi Luis,

There is not a maintained list of every possible combination of exception
type and message because they're continuously being added within the Python
standard library, and exception messages are considered an implementation
detail that are subject to change. While there are many that have remained
the same for many years and likely will continue to, we do periodically
adjust some to add additional information, make formatting fixes, and/or
improve grammar. Documenting exception messages formally would essentially
remove them from being implementation details (meaning that they can't as
easily be adjusted); not to mention the long term cost of continuously
updating that list each time a new exception message is written somewhere
within the standard library. It would not be very sustainable, even more so
if you consider that CPython development is mostly volunteer-driven efforts.

Regards,
Kyle Stanley