Problem

Mirko mirkok.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 1 16:09:49 EDT 2020

Am 30.09.2020 um 23:44 schrieb Chris Angelico:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 7:33 AM Mirko via Python-list

>> We are seeing these troubles from newcomers on Windows all of the
>> time -- and that for years. Isn't it time to ask if the way Python
>> installs itself on Windows-Systems is appropriate?
>>

> The problem is that there isn't "the way". Did the person:
>
> 1) Download an MSI file from python.org?
> 2) Install ActiveState?
> 3) Install Enthought?
> 4) Install Anaconda?
> 5) Get Python from the Microsoft Store?
> 6) Something else?
>
> They're all different, they all behave differently, they all have
> different defaults. And then there's the question of "did you install
> it for everyone or just you?", and so on.
>
> The core Python devs have control of the first option, and some
> control over the fifth, but none of the others.

Yes, but usability improvements for the one from python.org could be
later adopted by the other distributors.

I think, that you are jumping from "How to improve the current
situation?" to "How to make it absolutely perfect?"

That's a sure path into the incapacity to act. I'm not talking about
solving all the problems that newcomers have, but reducing them.

Eryk Sun suggested to rename the installer to a more explicit
filename. Will that solve all the problems? No. But it reduces the
troubles by solving one particular case. Renaming "IDLE" to "Python
IDE" (or similar) might also. Adding desktop icons for it or have a
"Start the Python Editor (IDLE) now" button/checkbox at the end of
the installation also.

> So, go ahead, ask if it's appropriate.... good luck getting a useful response :|

Well, I am not the one who needs to answer those beginner questions
time and time again. ;-)