A problem with opening a file

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Sun Nov 29 03:43:44 EST 2020

On 29/11/2020 20:56, Gabor Urban wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing an issue I was not able to solve yet. I have a class saving
> messages to a file. The relevant code is:
>
> ----
>
> import OS

if you're wanting the Python Standard Library, this should not be in
upper-case

> import sys

are these two imports used elsewhere?

> class MxClass:
>
>      def __init__(self, fName, fMode,....):
>          self.fileName = fName
>          self.fileMode = fMode

names such as fName and writeMethod are valid Python, but won't pass
PEP-8 conventions

>      def writeMethod(self, message):
>          data = open(self.fileName, self.fileMode)
>
> ----
>
> Tests reveal: the class is instantiated correctly, other methods work
> perfect. The writeMethod raises a NameError opening the file
> "name 'open' is not defined"
>
> I am stuck here.....

Please review ALL of the code. Is an open() function defined somewhere?
(which will "shadow" the built-in function)

That said the description doesn't quite match.

Please copy-paste the exact error messages because there's likely
missing information...
--
Regards =dn