Environment vars

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Wed Nov 25 11:46:21 EST 2020

I've got a program which accepts an optional env variable listing a single
or multiple directory for the app to use. I've done a bit of a search and
see both a comma and semicolon being used/suggested as a path separator.
Any consensus on which is better?

   MYPATHS=foo,bar,woof
or
    MYPATHS=foo;bar;woof
And, certainly not
    MYPATHS=foo,bar;woof

I did think I could be clever and check to see if the string contained a ,
or ; and spit it accordingly, but then what if the reason (hopefully,
pretty damned unlikely!) that a , or ; is being used as part of a path name?

--

**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca