Is there a conflict of libraries here?

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Nov 9 13:24:55 EST 2020

On 11/8/20 9:20 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Perhaps, but certainly the confusion is far less when the module is
> always imported as itself, and then the class is "datetime.datetime"
> which nicely parallels "datetime.date" and "datetime.time".

I find doubled names such as "datetime.datetime" both jarring and visual noise.

Thankfully, we can rename modules on import:

   import datetime as dt
   import time as t
   import PIL.Image as im

As for "from blablah import *" -- that should only be done with modules specifically designed for it; having said that,
it looks like datetime.py was so designed.  So, if I had a module making extensive use of the datetime contents, and
wasn't using the time module, I would have no problem with "from datetime import *".  On the other hand, if datetime was
only a small portion of my module, I would "import datetime as dt".

--
~Ethan~