Documenting the Python Community

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer arj.python at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 00:34:26 EST 2020

Greetings list,

I have a project in mind to help document the
Python community. It involves among others keeping
a within reach info of user groups (name, location, contact)
and checking activity status.

Sending the mail to this list since i could not find a
<https://www.python.org/psf/committees/>
community <https://www.python.org/psf/committees/> workgroup. I know Mr
Chris is in the Wiki
team and that Mrs McKellar once toured Python usergroup
spaces for a PSF community-related initiative many years ago.
Besides those i don't know any specific person who might be
interested

This occurs after we organised <https://flaskcon.com> FlaskCon
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QC5pASs8v5YVxKwJDtZeQ>. It was an ugly
experience
contacting user groups around the world. The wiki is outdated.
Many user groups are no longer active, some websites are down,
others have weird ways of communicating. This mail is basically
to gather interested folks together with the hope of hatching a
minimum viable plan d'action.

Being myself a usergroup organiser <https://www.pymug.com>, we'd like to
find a way to
1. make user groups compliant to a minimum standard
2. put the appropriate mechanism in place so that the PSF can
        easily have a watch over user groups and give them some
        bumps from time to time
3. some kind of onboarding and advices for new user groups

In parallel I am also thinking of documenting user groups histories,
starting with those I have some sort of relationship with. The idea
behind is to reinforce the community touch.

The draft might seem a tedious task for the expected benefits but
with the right approach it will be smooth. Feel free to continue the
conversation!

Kind Regards,

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer
about <https://compileralchemy.github.io/> | blog