why no camelCase in PEP 8?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat May 30 02:15:28 EDT 2020

On 5/29/2020 4:30 PM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2020-05-28 18:14:53 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>>
>>> That's obviously not true:
> [...]
>> Revise Chris' claim to "Neither the PSF nor the Python core developers
>> require* that owners of non-stdlib code comply with PEP 8" and it would be
>> true.
>
> Well, yes. But "Neither the PSF nor the Python core developers" is quite
> different from "Nobody ever".

Right, I modified a statement that takenly literally is obvious false,
undefensible, and not worth discussing to one that I believe to be true
and that says something important.  I would qualify further to people in
their PSF/core-dev roles.  There might be core-devs who enforce PEP-8 in
other roles.

> That's like saying "Nobody has ever been on the moon" is true if you
> replace "Nobody" with "No catholic bishop".

Only as the level of an empty generic template. <noun> has ever
<verbed>.  Semantically, the two statements are not at all paralley.
The PSF/core-devs own python and PEP-8.  Catholic bishops do not own
either the moon or means of walking there.  And there would be nothing
wrong if a Catholic bishop were to walk on the moon, and I can imagine
(and hope) that one might someday do so.

--
Terry Jan Reedy