Format Logfile Name with logging.ini

connor.r.novak at gmail.com connor.r.novak at gmail.com
Fri May 29 12:52:07 EDT 2020

In an effort to clean up my python logging practices when creating libraries, I have begun reading into "Advanced Logging" and converting my logging practices into logging configuration `.ini` files:

[link](https://docs.python.org/3.4/howto/logging.html#configuring-logging)

My question is: When defining a FileHandler in a `.ini` file, all of the examples that I've seen hardcode the name and location of the log file. In the code snippet below, `python.log` is hardcoded into the `.ini` file:

```
[handler_hand02]
class=FileHandler
level=DEBUG
formatter=form02
args=('python.log', 'w')
```
[code reference link](https://docs.python.org/3.4/library/logging.config.html#logging-config-fileformat)

Desired Behavior:
On each run of the program, a new logfile is created in the `logs/` directory named "<timestamp>_program.log".

Current Behavior:
The format in the example above overwrites a single file called "python.log" on each run, which is not the desired behavior.

Question: Is there a standard procedure for using .ini files to create a new logfile prepended with the current Unix timestamp on each run of the program?