Is there some reason that recent Windows 3.6 releases don't included executable nor msi installers?

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri May 29 11:01:12 EDT 2020

On 5/28/20 3:20 PM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2020-05-23 13:22:26 -0600, Mats Wichmann wrote:
>> On 5/23/20 12:23 AM, Adam Preble wrote:
>>> I wanted to update from 3.6.8 on Windows without necessarily moving
>>> on to 3.7+ (yet), so I thought I'd try 3.6.9 or 3.6.10.
>>>
>>> All I see for both are source archives:
> [...]
>>
>> During the early part of a release cycle, installers are built.  Once
>> the cycle moves into security fix-only mode, installers are not built.
>> That's all you are seeing.
>
> This seems a rather odd policy to me. Distributing a security fix in
> source-only form will prevent many people from applying it (especially
> on Windows).

As others have pointed out, it's a problem of how many versions to
build.  By the time 3.N is at the stage of receiving security-only,
patch-only types of releases, both 3.N+1 and 3.N+2 are being actively
built and supported, including Windows installers, both later releases
will will include those fixes (assuming they're necessary), so you have
plenty to choose from.  You have the option of picking the patches and
building your own if something _requires_ you to stay on 3.N, though
admittedly that is less easy.  It seems to be a reasonable compromise to
me, but that's from the point of view of a kibitzer!