Is there some reason that recent Windows 3.6 releases don't included executable nor msi installers?

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Fri May 29 01:25:41 EDT 2020

On 29/05/2020 2:59 pm, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Mike Dewhirst wrote at 2020-5-29 11:55 +1000:
>> On 29/05/2020 10:51 am, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>> Source only releases only block Windows/Mac users who choose not to
>>> upgrade to a released installer and who cannot or choose not to compile.
>> I am an example
>>
>> I installed all the Pythons on my Windows 10 dev machine (locked into
>> Windows by having clients) but I'm also locked into Python 3.6.9 on my
>> Ubuntu 18.04 production machines.
> You are not locked into Python 3.6 on Ubuntu: it is quite easy
> to compile Python on *nix (this includes Ubuntu 18.04) yourself
> (I did so recently for Python 3.9[a5]).

Thank you Dieter - yes I'm aware of that. You need to understand that I
am lazy. I haven't done it before and I was persuaded by a grizzly old
sysadmin that it is much easier to stick with the distro version.

I have actually compiled mod-wsgi before in the days of Python 2.7 so I
do know how brilliantly Linux is set up for software development
compared with Windows.

I will think about it seriously.

Cheers

Mike