Is there some reason that recent Windows 3.6 releases don't included executable nor msi installers?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 28 23:56:58 EDT 2020

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 1:46 PM Adam Preble <adam.preble at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm now concerned about how long we have with 3.6 because people clearly
> want us to move on even beyond that. I look online and the official support
> window for it ends at the end of next year, but it looks like the real
> support window for that on Windows has already ended. So our organization
> may have miscalculated this. What does that mean if we managed to make it
> to 3.8 in a few months? We can't do it right now due to a few missing
> modules, but now we have to question if we'll only get a year out of 3.8
> before we're doing this all over again.

Upgrading from 3.8 to 3.9 won't be hard. Check the release notes:

https://docs.python.org/3.9/whatsnew/3.9.html

In fact, even upgrading from 3.6 to 3.8 is unlikely to break anything.
Or go direct to 3.9, depending on how soon you're likely to complete
that transition (expected release date is October). Don't be afraid of
the minor upgrades.

I'm currently running a mix of 3.9 and 3.10, since there are a couple
of things that broke in 3.10. But that's not even into its first alpha
yet. By the time they get to release, generally most stuff won't break
:)

ChrisA