Write tables from Word (.docx) to Excel (.xlsx) using xlsxwriter

BBT aishan0403 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 14:55:12 EDT 2020

On Thursday, 28 May 2020 02:40:49 UTC+8, Peter Otten  wrote:
> BBT wrote:

> >> I had to simulate docx.api. With that caveat the following seems to work:
> >>
> >> import xlsxwriter
> >>
> >> # begin simulation of
> >> # from docx.api import Document
> >>
> >> class Cell:
> >>     def __init__(self, text):
> >>         self.text = text
> >>
> >> class Row:
> >>     def __init__(self, cells):
> >>         self.cells = [Cell(c) for c in cells]
> >>
> >> class Table:
> >>     def __init__(self, data):
> >>         self.rows = [
> >>             Row(row) for row in data
> >>         ]
> >>
> >> class Document:
> >>     def __init__(self):
> >>         self.tables = [
> >>             Table([
> >>                 ["Hello", "Test"],
> >>                 ["est", "ing"],
> >>                 ["gg", "ff"]
> >>             ]),
> >>             Table([
> >>                 ["Foo", "Bar", "Baz"],
> >>                 ["ham", "spam", "jam"]
> >>             ])
> >>         ]
> >>
> >> document = Document()
> >>
> >> # end simulation
> >>
> >> wb = xlsxwriter.Workbook("tmp.xlsx")
> >> sheet = wb.add_worksheet("Compliance")
> >>
> >> offset = 0
> >> for table in document.tables:
> >>     for y, row in enumerate(table.rows):
> >>         for x, cell in enumerate(row.cells):
> >>             sheet.write(y + offset, x, cell.text)
> >>     offset +=  len(table.rows) + 1  # one empty row between tables
> >>
> >> wb.close()
> >

> > Hi Peter, thank you for your efforts :)
> >
> > However, what if there are many tables in the word document, it would be
> > tedious to have to code the texts in the tables one by one. Can I instead,
> > call on the word document and let Python do the parsing for tables and its
> > contents?
>
> I don't understand. You have docx.api available, so you can replace
>
> the "simulation" part of my example with just these two lines:
>
> from docx.api import Document
> document = Document('/Users/xxx/Documents/xxx/Clauses Sample - Copy v1 - for merge.docx')
>
> I should work -- it's just that I cannot be sure it will work because I could
> not test it.

I tried your code by replacing the Document portion:

import xlsxwriter

# begin simulation of
[...]

document = Document('/Users/Ai Shan/Documents/CPFB Work/Clauses Sample - Copy v1 - for merge.docx')
wb = xlsxwriter.Workbook('C:/Users/Ai Shan/Documents/CPFB Work/test clause retrieval.xlsx')
Sheet1 = wb.add_worksheet("Compliance")

offset = 0
for table in document.tables:
    for y, row in enumerate(table.rows):
        for x, cell in enumerate(row.cells):
            sheet.write(y + offset, x, cell.text)
    offset +=  len(table.rows) + 1  # one empty row between tables

wb.close()

But I received an error:
TypeError: __init__() takes 1 positional argument but 2 were given