Issues regarding running of application.

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue May 26 13:58:13 EDT 2020

On 5/26/20 8:45 AM, Meet Agrawal wrote:
> I have tried and installed the python application a lot of times but after
> the installation get completed and I try to run the application, it say
> that api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer.
>
> Please tell me a way out.

Install it?

If you're not on Windows 10, this needs to be installed, and the side
effect is that your install may need to take place with elevated privilege.

===

Recent versions of Python for Windows are built with a recent Microsoft
build toolchain. Since the Python binary itself is a C-language
application, it is automatically linked with the MS C runtime.  That
library, of the correct version, is a part of an up-to-date Windows 10,
but has to be installed as an update on Win 7/8.1. Microsoft's package
for that is included in the Python installer, but introduces a host of
problems: it must be installed using elevated privilege (even though
Python itself does not require this), and in general those kinds of
packages only install if "everything is right" - if the MS installation
subsystem thinks you are not up to date, for example, it may well give
up. Sometimes it seems like if the phase of the moon is wrong, it gives
up. This isn't unique to Python, by the way.

Step one is to try an install with elevated privilege - the new
Python installers default to installing at just user privilege level, so
you need to go to advanced settings and tick a box.

If that's not enough, look at this note from a different project
suffering the same problems which proposes a solution:

https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/the-program-cant-start-because-api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0dll-is-missing-f2702.html