pip UX studies: Test pip's new resolver and help us document dependency conflicts

Bernard Tyers - Sane UX Design bernard+work at ei8fdb.org
Thu May 21 04:55:16 EDT 2020

Hi there,

It's Bernard and Nicole from the pip Team.

The team is working on the improving the way that pip resolves package
dependency conflicts.

We're asking for your help to test pip's new resolver.

We're especially interested in hearing from people who have projects
with complex dependencies.

By complex dependencies we mean projects that look like this:

- have at least 10 package dependencies
- some package are pinned to specific versions
- that you always have a dependency issue when installing it
- you have to put in hacks, workarounds, or fixes

Currently, we’re trying to discover all the ways in which pip‘s
dependency resolver fails, so that we can work out what error messages
and/or debugging information we should display.

You can find out what we'd like you to do on this blog post:

http://www.ei8fdb.org/thoughts/2020/05/test-pips-alpha-resolver-and-help-us-document-dependency-conflicts/

If you're into social media, we'd appreciate if you'd boost these
messages too:

https://twitter.com/nlhkabu/status/1263132447971172352
https://social.ei8fdb.org/@bernard/104205537250874117

You can sign-up for other UX Studies also:
http://www.ei8fdb.org/thoughts/2020/03/pip-ux-study-recruitment/

If you've got any questions, reply here off or on-list.

Thanks,
Bernard & Nicole pip Team UX

--

Bernard Tyers, User research & Interaction Design
Sane UX Design

Twitter: @bernardtyers
PGP Key: keybase.io/ei8fdb

I am currently working with the Python Software Foundation, and Open
Technology Fund