[RELEASE] Python 3.9.0b1 is now available for testing

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue May 19 12:17:36 EDT 2020

On 19/05/2020 10:49, Łukasz Langa wrote:
> On behalf of the entire Python development community, and the currently serving Python release team in particular, I’m pleased to announce the release of Python 3.9.0b1. Get it here:
>
> https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-390b1/ <https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-390b1/>
>
> This is a beta preview of Python 3.9
>
> Python 3.9 is still in development. This release, 3.9.0b1, is the first of four planned beta release previews.
>
> Beta release previews are intended to give the wider community the opportunity to test new features and bug fixes and to prepare their projects to support the new feature release.
>
> Call to action

I built python3.9.0b1 from source using the standard configure make dance eg

./configure --prefix=$HOME/LOCAL/3.9b1
make && make install

that appeared to work fine and I seem to get a working python. However, I seem to have an issue with the distutils package

> robin at minikat:~/devel/reportlab
> $ $HOME/LOCAL/3.9b1/bin/python3.9
> Python 3.9.0b1 (default, May 19 2020, 12:50:30)
> [GCC 10.1.0] on linux
> /home/robin/LOCAL/3.9b1/lib/python3.9/distutils/__init__.py:15: UserWarning: The virtualenv distutils package at %s appears to be in the same location as the system distutils?
>   warnings.warn("The virtualenv distutils package at %s appears to be in the same location as the system distutils?")
> ['/home/robin/LOCAL/3.9b1/lib/python3.9/distutils']
> '/home/robin/LOCAL/3.9b1/lib/python3.9/distutils/__init__.py'

is this a bug or have I built python 3.9.0b1 wrongly?
--
Robin Becker