Strings: double versus single quotes

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue May 19 14:26:01 EDT 2020

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 4:21 AM Manfred Lotz <ml_news at posteo.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I am asking myself if I should preferably use single or double quotes
> for strings?
>
> If I need a single quote in a string I would use double quotes for the
> whole string and vice versa. For f-strings I mostly see double
> quotes but single quotes would work as well I think.
>
> Is there a recommendation?

Nothing strong. I tend to use double quotes because I have a
background in C (where double quotes are for strings, single quotes
for characters), and double quotes are the recommendation for
docstrings (see PEP 258). If you tend to work a lot with SQL, you
might prefer single quotes. Use whatever makes you happy.

ChrisA