why no camelCase in PEP 8?

Juergen Brendel juergen at brendel.com
Mon May 18 17:55:04 EDT 2020

Hello!

We have now moved into a pros/cons discussion of snake vs camel-case,
which wasn't the original question. But discussions about coding styles
are always fun, so why not... :-)

I agree with Eli's reasoning about the grep-ability. It's something
that people don't often pay attention to, but that is actually really
important.

One more note about the readability:

A good friend of mine is a great developer, but has incredibly poor
eye-sight. For him it's very important that the code has easily
recognizable patterns. Imagine you'd have to try to make sense of code
when you could only squint at the screen and see everything fuzzy and
you get the idea. For what are now immediately obvious reasons he
prefers snake-case.

His concerns about reading code and recognizable patterns have been a
guide in the development of my own coding style for more than 20 years
now and it has served me well.

Juergen