Help with installation please

Sun May 17 20:26:57 EDT 2020

On 18/05/20 10:52 AM, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2020 at 15:21, Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/15/20 9:47 PM, Souvik Dutta wrote:
>>> I dont know if you should shift from powershell to cmd. Python kinda does
>>> not work in powershell.
>>
>> Powershell has a funky way of looking up programs, with the result that
>> you have to type the full name for many.
>>
>> python.exe     - should work, probably. maybe.
>>
>> Using the Python Launcher helps: it works without extra games
>>
>> py
>>

>> If you install the Python from the Microsoft Store it will work more
>> "predicatably" - python, and python3, will work from both a cmd and a
>> powershell commandline.  on the other hand, you will have no Python
>> Launcher on such a setup.
>
> I find the inconsistencies when it comes to "running Python" in a
> terminal in different operating systems or environments very
> frustrating. When teaching a class of 200 students who are new to
> programming it is really important that you can give a simple
> instruction that works. I'm yet to find that simple instruction for
> the basic task of starting a Python interpreter.
>
> I hope that one day we can get to a situation where once Python is
> installed it can be run by typing "python" in whatever terminal you
> want.
At last, someone who understands the problem when it is bigger than one
person!

To be fair, the issue is caused by the likes of Microsoft and Apple
deciding that they have 'the one true way'. However, wishing ain't going
to make the problem go-away!

This question (and its predecessor: "how do I install") is asked so
frequently it is obviously a major bug-bear. Yet, it is something I (and
most others with Python experience) do from 'muscle-memory' and without
thinking...

In the spirit of F/LOSS, if the previously-mentioned web-ref is not
sufficient, and  you are able to outline simple instructions to start a
DOS-box (or whatever they call it these days) and the equivalent on
Apple (as relevant to your environment), that's probably the best we can
do at the applications level - and we should use that to update/improve
the docs...
--
Regards =dn