Help with installation please

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Sun May 17 18:52:29 EDT 2020

On Sun, 17 May 2020 at 15:21, Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:

> On 5/15/20 9:47 PM, Souvik Dutta wrote:
> > I dont know if you should shift from powershell to cmd. Python kinda does
> > not work in powershell.
>
> Powershell has a funky way of looking up programs, with the result that
> you have to type the full name for many.
>
> python.exe     - should work, probably. maybe.
>
> Using the Python Launcher helps: it works without extra games
>
> py
>

> If you install the Python from the Microsoft Store it will work more
> "predicatably" - python, and python3, will work from both a cmd and a
> powershell commandline.  on the other hand, you will have no Python
> Launcher on such a setup.

I find the inconsistencies when it comes to "running Python" in a
terminal in different operating systems or environments very
frustrating. When teaching a class of 200 students who are new to
programming it is really important that you can give a simple
instruction that works. I'm yet to find that simple instruction for
the basic task of starting a Python interpreter.

I hope that one day we can get to a situation where once Python is
installed it can be run by typing "python" in whatever terminal you
want.

--
Oscar