proposal for slice hashing

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon May 11 23:09:21 EDT 2020

On 5/11/2020 3:58 PM, Will Bradshaw wrote:
> I recently ran into a situation where I needed to hash a slice and found this to be unsupported.

Slice objects, as opposed to slices of objects, have no explicit use in
Python itself.  They were added for use by "NumericalPython and other
3rd party extensions".
https://docs.python.org/3/library/functions.html#slice
They have the functionality needed for that use.  If this does not meet
your needs, don't use them.

Slice objects are similar to named tuples in having a fixed number of
immutable fields accessed by name.
https://docs.python.org/3/glossary.html#term-named-tuple
They were added before collections.namedtuple but if added today *for
general use*, probably would be nametuples, with hashing and anything
that comes from subclassing tuple.

So either use the namedtuple factory or roll your own to make something
that works for you.

--
Terry Jan Reedy