how to specify trusted hosts in windows config file

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:33:56 EDT 2020

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 4:21 AM <dcwhatthe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 12:08:54 PM UTC-4, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 2:31 AM wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm able to get past the
> > >
> > > CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED
> > >

> > > error with various packages by specifying trusted host on the command line.
> > >

> > > But I can't seem to upgrade pip itself.  I keep getting the message
> > >
> > > "You are using pip version 19.2.3, however 20.0.2 is available."
> > >
> > > But none of the commands on the web seem to be able to upgrade pip, without getting either the CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED error, or the above message.
> > >

> > Before trying to solve the symptom, see what the underlying problem
> > is. Are you actually sure you're getting to the right server? Maybe
> > the actual problem is that you aren't able to connect to the true
> > PyPI, and that's what the cert failure is warning you of.
> >
> > ChrisA
>
> Hi ChrisA,
>
> Nope, I'm not certain.  I just copied and pasted a command line on the web.  The command line doesn't specify a server.

First off, try adding the "--verbose" option to pip, which should tell
you the exact URLs that it's trying to download (which, in effect,
will tell you the servers). When I do that, I'm seeing two key
servers: pypi.org (https://pypi.org/simple/pip/) and
files.pythonhosted.org (lots of
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/.... URLs). When I look up
those names, I get these results:

pypi.org. 86278 IN A 151.101.192.223
pypi.org. 86278 IN A 151.101.64.223
pypi.org. 86278 IN A 151.101.128.223
pypi.org. 86278 IN A 151.101.0.223

files.pythonhosted.org. 86400 IN CNAME dualstack.r.ssl.global.fastly.net.
dualstack.r.ssl.global.fastly.net. 30 IN A 151.101.81.63

Check two things: firstly, do your URLs show the same domains? And
secondly, are you connecting to the same IP addresses? If either of
those is different, it's possible that you have a local PyPI mirror,
or (more likely) something is blocking those requests and silently
redirecting them to something else, such as a login page. But at that
point, it's impossible to guess at anything, so start with the above.

ChrisA