Confusing textwrap parameters, and request for RE help

Karsten Hilbert Karsten.Hilbert at gmx.net
Tue Mar 24 05:34:36 EDT 2020

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 08:20:32PM +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> > > Well um... yes. I think we know that hyphens do indicate word-split
> > > points. That's not really in question.
> >
> > I know you don't mean it like that, but it sounds equally
> > future-proof like "all text is ASCII".
>
> Sure, but I'm not really disputing that part. You can disable it anyway.
>
> I'm trying to figure out a way to handle URLs, and that's something
> that has its own governing standard, so the meanings of characters
> like hyphens is well defined.

Agreed.

More to the point, if anyone knows how to typographically
properly handle this it's the TeX community. Here's a thread:

	https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/3033/forcing-linebreaks-in-url

URL shorteners work but suffer from link rot.

Ellipsised URLs plus footnote would work but don't lend
themselves to textwrap() very well (but perhaps to each
individual application of textwrap()).

Karsten
--
GPG  40BE 5B0E C98E 1713 AFA6  5BC0 3BEA AC80 7D4F C89B