Intermittent bug with asyncio and MS Edge

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Mon Mar 23 07:56:22 EDT 2020

On 2020-03-23 12:57 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 8:03 PM Frank Millman <frank at chagford.com> wrote:

>>> If you can recreate the problem with a single socket and multiple
>>> requests, that would be extremely helpful. I also think it's highly
>>> likely that this is the case.
>>>

>> I am working on a stripped-down version, but I realise there are a few
>> things I have not grasped.
>>
>> Hope you don't mind, but can you scan through what follows and tell me
>> if I am on the right lines?
>
> No probs!

[...]

Really appreciate the one-on-one tuition. I am learning a lot!

>> If this all makes sense, I should write two versions of the client
>> program, one using a single connection, and one using a pool of connections.
>>

> Possibly! I think you'll most likely see that one of those behaves
> perfectly normally, and you only trigger the issue in the other. So
> you could move forward with just one test program.

Well, I have got the first one working - single connection - and so far
it has not gone wrong.

However, it is difficult to be sure that I am comparing apples with
apples. I have written my test server to handle 'Keep-Alive' correctly,
but as I mentioned earlier, my live program closes the connection after
each transfer. So now I have to make my test server do the same, and
change my test client to react to that and re-open the connection each
time. I will make the changes and see how that behaves.

Of course now I am in the murky waters of trying to second-guess how
Edge reacts to that. Presumably that is where Wireshark will be useful.
I will keep you posted.

Frank