[Mostly OT] Feedback on Python homework using Canvas LMS

Mon Mar 16 23:47:36 EDT 2020

On 17/03/20 10:49 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2020-03-16, Irv Kalb <Irv at furrypants.com> wrote:
>
>> I like both suggestions, and will probably go with the non-breaking
>> space (Option space on my Mac).  I tested that and it works well.
>
> Until somebody tries to cut/paste the snippets you post into a .py
> file and run them.  At that point the "distance learning" setup is
> definitely good, because you really don't want to hear the names
> you'll be called.  ;)

Exactly - and if the 'victim' (literally) cannot see why copy-pasted
code is being violently rejected, learning objectives will be soundly
defeated!

Whereas "spaces" have been mentioned (and without wishing to enter into
a 'religious war'), what happens if the white-space character is a tab?

Failing that, consider adding a visible character, eg the 'right arrow'
that is occasionally used to indicate paragraph-like indentation in
other contexts. Would still require the trainees to post-edit though -
albeit only a single global find-replace.

Similar problems existed on Moodle (may not now, or may have an add-on
solution) and edX (which does have a built-in solution).

Might Canvas (I haven't used that LMS) permit the embedding of a
"frame"? (allowing greater formatting freedom/character choices within
its 'enclosure')

Another option may be to link to a post on a 'snippet site' - most seem
JavaScript-oriented, but may also support, or at least tolerate, Python.

WebRefs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastebin
https://pastebin.com/
https://codepen.io/
https://jsfiddle.net/
https://gist.github.com/discover

or, to keep things in-house (and possibly better indexed/reusable):
https://gogs.io/
--
Regards =dn