Python question

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:34:50 EDT 2020

On 3/10/20 6:40 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 11:22 PM Marco Sulla via Python-list
>> I would reply, but I was already too much off topic. I want only to
>> write what Gmail reports to me about the last message of the person
>> that started this discussion:
>>
>>> This message seems dangerous
>>> Many people marked similar messages as phishing scams, so this might contain unsafe content. Avoid clicking links, downloading attachments or replying with personal information.
>>
>> I never saw this message before in Gmail. Didn't your Gmail warned
>> about this, Souvik Dutta?
>>

> I'm also reading this in Gmail, and I didn't get any such warning. I'm
> going to call that a spurious warning, a false positive.

Gmail often reports this about Python list messages because they are
being sent through Python's mailing list servers but have the From
address showing up as the poster's email address.

Shows that Google's "my way or the highway" approach to security is
problematic when it comes to traditional internet services like
listservs.  To say nothing of how they break mailing lists by throwing
out your own messages to the list. Google products are definitely
getting more and more frustrating for us traditional users.