Re: ÿ in Unicode

R.Wieser address at not.available
Sat Mar 7 05:32:59 EST 2020

Moi,

> - Today, there are still people who do not understand a
> "ÿ' can not be *safely* encoded with a single byte.

It can (and has been done for ages), just not in the character encoding
method you've choosen to use.

> - Python == Latin-1 mess (as somebody wrote on a mailing list).

Putting blanket, unsupported statements forward doesn't score you any
points.  Feel free to come up with examples* though, as well as (ofcourse)
how you think it could have been done better

*examples in regard how Python fails to use the character encoding according
to its definition.   Any complaint towards the encoding itself doesn't
belong in this newsgroup.

But, seeing that you started this thread with posting stuff that actually
works**as advertised I won't hold my breath.

**instead of supporting your 'Python makes a mess of it' stance. Which
ofcourse suggests that that example is actually the worst thing you could
come up with - but only shows both Python and the UTF-x encodings working as
expected.

> - This "Flexible string representation" succeded to reintroduced
> the mess of the coding of characters.

Nope.   That /you/ don't understand how the UTF-x character encoding works
doesn't mean others do not either.

> Once you get this, it's a child play to produce failing Python code.
> Python approach.

Do you know how to take a car engine apart and rebuild it ?    No ?   Than
you also suck at cooking food, am I right ?   (You eat in the car, you
transport food by it.  The connection is /obviously/ there :-) )

> Other possibility, take a "utf-NNN tool" (lib), C# (Powershell),
> golang and show these tools are correctly working where Python
> fails for the same task.

Kiddo, all I have seen you do is to suggest that UTF encoding is bad(1), and
by association Python is bad(2), by making some reference to other programs
that do it better(3) and where Python fails(4)

(1),(2),(3),(4) - None of which are underbuild, let alone proven.   In
short, hollow and meaningless drivel.  Acceptable for a politician, but not
for a programmer/scripter.

> A real funny mess. Very amusing.

Oh well, you at least get /some/ enjoyment outof knowing* the Python
language.

* I'm just assuming you are not actually /using/ it, as its so bad and you
got a range of better languages at your disposal.

But that does make me wonder why you are posting here to start with.

Although, I think I can guess ...

Regards,
Rudy Wieser