Application setup like windows msi

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Thu Mar 5 14:50:40 EST 2020

Am 05.03.20 um 02:48 schrieb Michael Torrie:
> On 3/4/20 4:51 PM, J A wrote:
>> I was wondering g if there was a way to distribute an application that took
>> advantage of user input like a windows .msi does. On linux of course.
>
> Several installer frameworks can make interactive installers for Linux.
> There's the NullSoft installer and InstallerVICE.  And quite a few
> commercial packages have rolled their own installers. Although I find
> installers of any kind of annoying on Linux and don't seem all that
> necessary.

+1!

On Linux, the most reasonable binary distribution is a .tar.bz2 package
which extracts a folder with a startup script. This works on every Linux
distribution and is one of the most common ways for Firefox etc. Of
course, if you can afford to offer several packages, the other
recommended way is packages for the system package manager - but this
means it is system-dependent - or the newer things like flatpak and
snap. However the tarball is the thing that always works, even for me as
a user without root access.

	Christian