Pycharm Won't Do Long Underscore

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:56:47 EDT 2020

On 6/24/20 7:38 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2020-06-24, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-python at hjp.at> wrote:
>
>> There is U+FF3F Fullwidth Low Line.
>>
>>> If there were, Python would not know what to do with it
>>
>> You can use it in variable names, but not at the beginning, and it isn't
>> equivalent to two underscores, of course:
>
> Ouch.  Anybody caught using that should be fed to a large snake.

Even allowing unicode letters in variable names period is questionable,
but that loud debate was over years ago.  Fortunately I have never seen
any python code in the wild with non-latin characters for variable
names.  Would make editing code very painful for developers from
different locales and keyboards. Even if it might seem novel at first to
have π be a variable name.