FW: Pycharm Won't Do Long Underscore

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jun 23 23:34:57 EDT 2020

On 6/23/2020 4:44 PM, MRAB wrote:
> On 2020-06-23 20:18, Tony Kaloki wrote:

>>       When I try to do a long underscore __  for classes in Pycharm,
>> it only gives me two separate single underscores _ _.

> The "__" is 2 underscores; it's just that they usually appear joined
> together in many fonts.

To really see this, start IDLE either from an icon or 'python -m
idlelib' (use 'python3' on *nix) on a command line.  Open the settings
dialog with Options => Configure IDLE.  On the Font tab there is a Font
Sample box.  Go to the bottom and enter several _____s.  In the Windows
Courier font, and several others, this looks like one line.  On the
left, try other fonts.  On Windows, switching to Source Code Pro (and
some others) results in separate underscores.  Source Code Pro, as the
name suggests, is aimed at programmers, and we need to be able to count
underscores.

Or maybe you can switch fonts in your mail reader and see what happens
to the underscores above.

--
Terry Jan Reedy