Pycharm Won't Do Long Underscore

Alexander Neilson alexander at neilson.net.nz
Tue Jun 23 17:12:48 EDT 2020

Hi Tony

Absolutely. The “long underscore” is just a display thing. Underneath it is always two underscores. The only difference is what your editor is showing (or how the underscore is drawn in the display font - as some fonts make the underscore the full width or slightly over the edge of where the character will be displayed so that many underscores look all joined up like a line)

These links may provide you with some useful reading around this and what underscores signal in Python.

https://dbader.org/blog/meaning-of-underscores-in-python

https://dbader.org/blog/python-dunder-methods

Happy to have helped and good luck with your Python journey.

Regards
Alexander

Alexander Neilson
Neilson Productions Limited