How to test?

Mats Wichmann mats at python.org
Sat Jun 20 11:56:50 EDT 2020

On 5/1/20 2:34 PM, DL Neil via Python-list wrote:
>>> Given your replies, 'now' might be a good time to take a look at
>>> Pytest, and see how you could use it to help build better code - by
>>> building tested units/functions which are assembled into ever-larger
>>> tested-units... (there is a range of choice/other testing aids if
>>> Pytest doesn't take your fancy)
>>
>> I have to admit I chose unittest. Simply because it is in the standard
>> lbrary. As so many people seem to prefer pytest I should take a look at
>> it.
>
> Not at all! This is a personal bias - I happen to have been using Pytest.

it doesn't have to be either-or; pytest can deal with unittest tests,
with some limitations. See here for some notes:

https://docs.pytest.org/en/stable/unittest.html

so you can try out what you have under pytest, and if liking it, can
begin to transition to more native pytest - or just keep it as the test
runner, or just stick with unittest.