pyinstaller

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 15:41:33 EDT 2020

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 5:26 AM Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

> On 10/06/2020 15:02, Chris Angelico wrote:
> >>
> >> The intended users are unlikely to understand how to adjust the scanner to whitelist the application.
> >
> > Tell them to install Python from an official source, and then
> > distribute your application as a single .py (or .pyw) file. Problem
> > solved.
> >
> > ChrisA
> >
> Thanks for the obvious suggestion, but if they have difficulty whitelisting the app then installing python is also
> probably beyond their abilities :( and I think it ought to be easier for the pyinstaller created executables to 'just work'.

Python can be installed from the app store, or from a python.org
downloader. If that's too much hassle for them, then they're going to
need help *whatever* you do.

> The current exe works on very old versions of windows as well. Some people are reluctant to change old win 95/xp
> machines just to run a single app.

And a lot of us are reluctant to try to support XP. It's an operating
system that was released the same year as Python 2.2 - do you try to
support that? If not, why support an ancient OS?

> I had supposed there might be a simple mechanism to get these applications validated in some way, but it seems not. MS
> seems uninterested.

And I can't blame them. How is MS going to know that you haven't
tampered with the Python binary before you packaged it up? How can end
users be expected to trust it?

ChrisA