Installation Problems

purelyconstructive . purelyconstructive at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 20:13:49 EDT 2020

Hello,

I'm sorry if this isn't the correct email to send this to, but I am
new to Python and I am having a very hard time getting it installed
correctly no matter what version I try.

My computer specs are:

Toshiba Satellite C55t-B Laptop
Intel Celeron CPU N2830 @ 2.16GHz
4 GB RAM
64-bit Windows 8

First, I tried installing the 64-bit version of Python 3.8.3, but
anytime I try to open it, whether by clicking on its shortcut or
running it in a command line, a dialog box pops up with the following
error:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK
to close the application."

After searching for a solution, I came across this Stack Overflow post
that covers what seems to be a similar problem:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20650596/cannot-open-python-error-0xc000007b

I tried all of the solutions offered there to no avail (e.g.:
uninstalling and reinstalling it several times with various settings,
changing the PATH in Environmental Variables to point to Python38,
updating the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package, etc.).

None of it worked, so I eventually decided to try the 32-bit version
instead. This generally seems to work as Python will now open just
fine when I click on its shortcut or run it in a command line.
However, IDLE won't open. Nothing comes up when I click on its
shortcut...

I searched for a solution again and came across this Stack Overflow
post with what seems to be a similar problem:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7509579/python-idle-won%C2%B4t-start

I've tried all of these solutions too, but none of them worked (e.g.:
uninstalling and reinstalling several times with different settings,
checking PATH in Environmental Variables, adding a TCL_LIBRARY entry
to Environmental Variables that points to tcl8.6, "repairing" the
installation under Uninstall Programs in Windows, etc.).

After looking at the section on IDLE within the Python Documentation,
I came across the command:

"python -m idlelib"

When I try it I get the error:

"** IDLE can't import Tkinter.
Your Python may not be configured for Tk. **"

More searches on how to fix this problem have led me to try out all
sorts of different things similar to what I have described above, but
I feel like something on my computer is not allowing Python to install
correctly (even when it seems to) and I can't pin-point what exactly
it is. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Sage