Is there some reason that recent Windows 3.6 releases don't included executable nor msi installers?

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Sun Jun 7 12:37:02 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-28 20:51:59 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 5/28/2020 5:20 PM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:

[The final "security-only" releases are source-only]

> > This seems a rather odd policy to me.
>
> Not if one considers the intended users.
> Do you prefer we not make these releases?

No, of couse not (also, as a Linux user I'm not terribly inconvenienced
by the lack of Windows binaries). I would prefer that security fixes are
distributed in the same form as the original release so that people can
apply them without encountering additional hurdles.

I assume (perhaps naively) that those releases are tested on the
supported platforms. After building and testing them, is that much
additional work to put the artifacts on the web site? (I admit that the
Windows developers I know aren't very fond of automation, is that a
general trait?)

        hp