Fake news Detect

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Sat Jul 18 01:36:15 EDT 2020

On 18/07/2020 6:16 am, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2020-07-17, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 16:02:15 -0000 (UTC), Gazu <Gazu at freoeo.net> declaimed
>> the following:
>>
>>> Hey Guys I am new to python and i am building a fake news detection
>>> system ...
>> 	I suspect that, if anyone had done this already, it would likely be
>> found on some source code archive (github?) -- and you'd just be
>> duplicating the effort.
>>
>> 	Essentially, since the core of this functionality depends upon the
>> algorithm, YOU will have to develop the algorithm.
> Or he could do something easier like eliminating hunger, war and
> Covid-19.

Or like changing culture to give more weight to education, integrity
etc. We need systems to automatically identify fake news and educate
believers. News consumers have to do it.

News consumers need a system where they can go to check news items to
see if they are credible. Without the cooperation of news conduits - to
label news items with the source - that will be difficult.

However, that doesn't mean the crowd can't check credibility. So,
culture change is needed. No-one wants to be outed as a fake news source.

Here's a project. Build an automatic news aggregation site which
collects all news in two pages per news item. Page 1 for the item and
page 2 for the crowd credibility assessment and naming of the apparent
source. Should work somewhat like Wikipedia. Except editors for page 2
would need a threshold score for being correct. Everyone can criticise
but you lose points for being on the wrong side of history.

That'll be 2 cents

Mike