A Python installation help doc much more friendly to newcomers? [Was Re: help]

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Sat Jul 18 00:36:44 EDT 2020

On 18/07/20 3:29 PM, boB Stepp wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 9:48 PM dn via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 18/07/20 1:53 PM, Castillo, Herbert S wrote:
>>> I downloaded python not to long ago, and today when I opened Python on Windows it gave me a modify setup prompt. I have tried to click on modify , repair and even uninstalled and installed it back, but when I try to open Python up again, I keep on getting the same modify setup prompt. I am not sure of what to do? Thank you in advance.
>>

>> Regret that this mailing list does not support graphics attachments.
>>
>> Which part of https://docs.python.org/dev/using/windows.html failed?
>
> Just for grins I just now glanced at the link dn provided.  Yes, this
> is a very thorough, very accurate, very *technical* help resource.
> But if I were a person who had never seen a shell, cmd.exe or
> Powershell window, never programmed before, had no clue about how to
> truly use my OS, etc., I don't think I would understand a bit of this
> "help" document, and, at best, would find it very intimidating.  If
> this community does wish to cater to those who are totally new to the
> world of programming and learning how to really use their PC at any
> depth, then I think a different approach or set of documents is
> needed.  And an easier way for those playing with the idea of learning
> programming and Python to connect with such documentation.
>
> I think that we take a lot for granted that is second nature to most
> of us.  Also, most of us have the mindset that even when all of this
> programming stuff was new to us (If we can even truly remember that
> anymore.), we would have the problem-solving chops to get over these
> hurdles.  Many don't have these native inclinations.  Searching online
> for technical solutions is completely foreign to many.  Even searching
> for anything may be more challenging than we suspect for some.
>
> I am just a Python hobbyist/dabbler, not a pro like most of you, but I
> have taught kids through adults various subjects in the past, helped
> seniors, etc., and a lot of what we take for granted is *not* easy for
> many.  But I believe that almost everyone that can get to the point of
> believing that they can perhaps learn programming, can do so, but may
> need some encouragement to get to that point of "self-belief".
>
> Sure, some people are just too lazy and want to be spoon-fed, but I
> truly believe that is a minority.  Can we make this easier for those
> who really would like to try?
>
> Just some thoughts that I hope will be constructively received.

There is also THE Python Tutorial - the opening action is two?three
pages 'in'. Is that suitably less-technical and more usable to a 'beginner'?
https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html
--
Regards =dn