Questioning the effects of multiple assignment

Kyle Stanley aeros167 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 22:40:25 EDT 2020

> A matter of style, which I like to follow [is it TDD's influence? - or
> does it actually come-from reading about DBC (Design by Contract*)?] is
> the injunction that one *not* vary the value of a parameter inside a
> method/function.
> (useful in 'open-box testing' to check both the API and that
> input+process agrees with the expected and actual output, but irrelevant
> for 'closed-box testing')
> This also has the effect of side-stepping any unintended issues caused
> by changing the values of mutable parameters!
> (although sometimes it's a equally-good idea to do-so!)
>
> Accordingly, binding argument-values to mutable parameters (instead of
> an immutable tuple) might cause problems/"side-effects", were those

parameters' values changed within the function!

> Making sense to you?

I think I can see where you're going with this, and it makes me wonder if
it might be a reasonable idea to have an explicit syntax to be able to
change the behavior to store those values in a tuple instead of a list. The
programming style of making use of immutability as much as possible to
avoid side effects is quite common, and becoming increasingly so from what
I've seen of recent programming trends.

If something along those lines is something you'd be interested in and have
some real-world examples of where it could specifically be useful (I
currently don't), it might be worth pursuing further on python-ideas. Due
to the backwards compatibility issues, I don't think we can realistically
make the default change from a list to a tuple, but that doesn't mean
having a means to explicitly specify that you want the immutability is
unreasonable.

You'd also likely have to argue against why being able to do it during
assignment is advantageous compared to simply doing it immediately after
the initial unpacking assignment. E.g. ::

>>> a, *b, c = 1, 'two', 3, 'four'
>>> b = tuple(b)

(I'd like to particularly emphasize the importance of having some
compelling real-world examples in the proposal if you decide to pursue
this, as otherwise it would likely be dismissed as YAGNI.)