Bulletproof json.dump?

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Mon Jul 6 09:31:54 EDT 2020

On 2020-07-06, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:11 PM Jon Ribbens via Python-list
><python-list at python.org> wrote:

>> > That's the PHP definition of "bulletproof" - whatever happens, no
>> > matter how bad, just keep right on going.
>>
>> While I agree entirely with your point, there is however perhaps room
>> for a bit more helpfulness from the json module. There is no sensible
>> reason I can think of that it refuses to serialize sets, for example.
>
> Sets don't exist in JSON. I think that's a sensible reason.

I don't agree.  Tuples & lists don't exist separately in JSON, but
both are serializable (to the same thing).  Non-string keys aren't
allowed in JSON, but it silently converts numbers to strings instead
of barfing.  Typically, I've been using sets to deduplicate values as
I go along, & having to walk through the whole object changing them to
lists before serialization strikes me as the kind of pointless labor
that I expect when I'm using Java.  ;-)

--
"It is the role of librarians to keep government running in difficult
times," replied Dramoren.  "Librarians are the last line of defence