Damping cofficient from envelope

Rob Gaddi rgaddi at highlandtechnology.invalid
Mon Jan 13 13:00:49 EST 2020

On 1/13/20 9:45 AM, Shiba Subedi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm new for python. I'm trying to compute damping coefficient ( for the waveform trace data)  but I didn't get how can I do. I can plot the envelope but my interest is to find out the damping coefficient of the trace. How is it possible?

If you've already got a method of calculating the envelope then what you want is
to minimize the error between that calculated envelope and that of your damping
function, which I'll assume is in the form a * exp(-bt).

Write a function estimated_envelope(t, a, b) that does that math, and use
scipy.optimize.curve_fit to dial in (a,b) against your measured data.  This
error function doesn't have a lot of exciting topography, so your initial
guesses p0 can be pretty far off and you'll still converge.