Saying bye bye to Python 2

Gunnar Þór Magnússon gunnar at magnusson.io
Sat Jan 11 12:48:43 EST 2020

> I thought that upgrading is not that simple.

It depends.

If you have Python 2 code that deals with a lot of text in byte form, and it's kind of vague where you convert from bytes to strings, you may have a bad time.

Otherwise, it may not be that bad. I ported around 500k lines of Python 2 to 3 this year, and it went smoothly. The most valuable resource I found was eevee's post on the subject:

https://eev.ee/blog/2016/07/31/python-faq-how-do-i-port-to-python-3/

It talks about the most common tools and pitfalls. In particular, I found the future project to be very valuable.

Best,