[Python-ideas] Re: Enhancing Zipapp

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer arj.python at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 04:23:46 EST 2020

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020, 11:09 Christopher Barker, <pythonchb at gmail.com> wrote:

> But a thought on that -- you may be able to accomplish something similar
> with conda, "conda constructor", and "conda run". -- or a new tool built
> from those. The idea is that the first time you ran your "app", it would
> install its dependencies, and then use them in an isolated environment. But
> if the multiple apps had the same dependencies, they would share them, so
> you wouldn't get major bloat on the host machine.

I guess it's time to dig more into anaconda, been
putting it off, will do.

but a wheel is just as big as the installed package (at least a zipped
> version) -- it's essentially the package compressed into a tarball.

I really hope C extentions would become redundent someday
in Python, which would make Python development real
Python dev.

The proposal at hand is maybe the best solution to a
hard nut case that most if not all solutions preferred to avoid

But: "Unlike “conventional” zipapps, shiv packs a site-packages style
> directory of your tool’s dependencies into the resulting binary, and then
> at bootstrap time extracts it into a ~/.shiv cache directory."

Maybe we can have a PYZ directory where the
packages for each app are extracted then it's not
a global dump but more specific

Why not that route? It would be nice to comment
on what is wrong with Shiv's mode of execution