No subject

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 16:37:36 EST 2020

On 1/6/20 10:06 AM, AAKASH JANA wrote:
> Julia is a rapidly progressing language directly attacking python's sweet
> spot in a.i , m.l and other computational areas. I love python and want it
> to remain undefeated . I think its time we create a compiler for python .
> So that python can be compiled and interpreted at will . Its time we make
> our snake go faster than the world.(and most importantly Julia)

Why is it so important for "python to remain undefeated?" Furthermore
what do you suppose Python is "undefeated" at?  If Julia is better
suited to certain computational areas, then more power to it.  As I
posted just a few minutes ago, languages come and go, and specialize in
certain things.  Python certainly is popular right now and good at lots
of things, but something else might come along and relegate it to a fond
memory.

Besides, for obvious reasons, Python doesn't lend itself to compiling.
It's too dynamic.  Either you get slow executables where some code can
be compiled and other bits are interpreted (nuitka), or you get a
language that is a subset of python that compiles to a very fast
executable or library (Cython).

Honestly, for what most people use Python for, compiling is of little
value.  Even math people who use Python, rely on numpy or similar
high-speed libraries which are written in a compiled language and used
from Python.  This is, in my opininon, what Python excels at.  It's an
easy-to-use glue for connecting parts.