Python, Be Bold!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 20:22:48 EST 2020

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 12:12 PM Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer
<arj.python at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jan 2020, 23:49 Barry Scott, <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
>

> > I'm at a lose to understand what the problem is that zipapp is the
> > solution to that is not better served
> > with pip or PyInstall etc.
> >

> Well proposing to enhance zipapp, by adding app metadata and signing. By
> pip i understand you mean pure python distribution. Well, an enhanced
> zipapp's advantage would be smaller codebase and easy injection detection
> among others + the improving the ability to prevent reverse engineering for
> those who want it.

Why do you assume pure Python? pip is fully capable of locating and
installing binary packages based on the architecture it's running on.

> Comparing to native executable well, one thing is program size. You must
> have the interpreter on the machine but your program is lighter. 10 python
> programs does not mean inclung 10× the interpreter. The proposal also
> proposes enhancement to the interpreter to make it more non-programmer
> friendly. Also, you must have a dist for every different Os.

I'm not sure what your proposal is here. Are you trying to make a
single-file executable, or are you trying to make an archive of Python
source code (like a jar), or are you trying something different again?

> Python, Be Bold captures the spirit of it should not be a shame to have the
> interpreter/VM installed on end-users machines. It also facilitates the
> work of other python devs. You installed it because of one Python program,
> other programs benefit from it. It also proposes enhancements to the VM to
> better facilitate that.

Uhhhh...... so.... go install Python and then you can install some
Python app? Isn't that how things already are?

ChrisA