Python, Be Bold!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 15:33:00 EST 2020

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 7:22 AM Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer
<arj.python at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jan 2020, 00:14 Chris Angelico, <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> What do you mean by "Python-specific executable"?
>

> a Python equivalent of .jar

A jar is just an archive of Java class files. It's approximately
equivalent to a zip file of .pyc files. You can't run a .jar file
without a Java interpreter.

>> Your Python code can go anywhere if you package it up in, say, a .deb
>> or .rpm,
>
> Not everybody uses Linux

No, but there are package managers for Windows and Mac too. (I don't
think there's any first-party package manager for Macs, but there are
some very popular third-party ones eg Homebrew.)

>> don't understand how "run on any device" relates to "automatically
>> update the Python interpreter",
>

> Two unrelated suggestions
>
>> but it's still a solved problem: *use
>> a package manager*.
>

> Single-file executables are slick. End-users want to only use the app.

And that's the problem: the single-file executable requires you to
bundle everything, update it yourself, and duplicate all the code
everywhere.

Using a package manager means you have ONE copy of the Python
interpreter, and all your scripts depend on it. If you update that
interpreter, ALL scripts benefit from the update. This is a solved
problem.

ChrisA