Load python from different plugin dlls

Eko palypse ekopalypse at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 06:51:44 EST 2020

Thanks for the information.
My test looks like this right now.
I have two plugins which, when loaded separately, work.
But when both are loaded, I get AccessVioletion messages from python37.dll.
The init code for both dlls is this:

cpp_init_code = f'''#include <Python.h>
#include "PluginInterface.h"

PyMODINIT_FUNC PyInit_{PLUGIN_NAME}(void);

BOOL APIENTRY DllMain( HANDLE hModule,
                       DWORD reasonForCall,
                       LPVOID /* lpReserved */ )
{{
    switch ( reasonForCall )
    {{
        case DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH:
            PyImport_AppendInittab("{PLUGIN_NAME}", &PyInit_{PLUGIN_NAME});
            Py_InitializeEx(Py_IsInitialized() ? 0 : 1);
            PyImport_ImportModule("{PLUGIN_NAME}");
            break;
        case DLL_PROCESS_DETACH:
            Py_Finalize();
            break;

        case DLL_THREAD_ATTACH:
            break;

        case DLL_THREAD_DETACH:
            break;
    }}

    return TRUE;
}}'''

This is written to a plugininit.cpp file and then built via setup.py with
distutil, cython and VS2017.

According to the docs  PyImport_AppendInittab should be called before
Py_Initialize
but I can't call  Py_Initialize the second time as it would remove what was
initialized by the first dll.
And using PyImport_ImportModule on the second dll only does not work either.
So that is were I'm trapped.

Thank you
Eren